View Single Post
Old
11-14-2003, 11:11 AM
Seph

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seph
I agree with Trots, especially when you stop to consider that we're winning. We're sixth in the conference and could easily be 5th if not for the two extra games Toronto has on us. If you don't think Peca has an effect on that, just think back to how we were playing last year at this time when he was still on IR. When we start to slow down, or we get to the playoffs, then I would expect Peca to turn things up - and if he doesn't I'll be sorely disappointed. But for the time being, I don't mind him not going all out and putting his body and health at undue risk. I'd rather have him playing at 100% down the stretch and in the playoffs than see him do that now and get injured for another season. He's still been rock solid defensively even without the hitting. Despite his line not scoring and going up against other team's top lines every night, Peca is still a +4, tying him for fourth highest on the team.

All players hit cold streaks, and it's especially hard for someone like Peca who isn't a natural offensive talent to get going when his line is not. The important thing to remember is, when Peca isn't going well offensively, he is still doing everything else well. Last night, he dominated faceoffs, beating Perrault on many key draws. He comes to win, and with him the team's been winning. But I can't say I minded his line on the powerplay being replaced with Bates' line.

from TSN's blurb on Peca's flaws:
Quote:
Isn't a natural goal-scorer and must work extra hard for his points. His kamikaze approach leads to a multitude of injuries.
Sounds about right, no?