View Single Post
Old
02-04-2006, 01:25 PM
CloudReader

vCash: 500
This is what I've learned from my somewhat limited experience rollerblading and playing hockey, so this might not apply to everyone. Learning to rollerblade well before stepping on to the ice has its benefits, but also its pains.

Rollerblading will really help you build up speed on the ice. It's alot harder to gain and maintain your speed on a road than on ice, so you really learn how to use your muscles, and develop a posture (after like a month or two, skating everyday). This will translate well on to the ice.

However, going from inline to ice takes a transition periode. Turning is harder on the ice (less friction, more speed, and learning to really dig in into the ice), and stopping is completely different. As I mentioned before, rollerblading first will really make you go fast on ice. This is not good for learning how to stop. Because of this, I have never learned how to stop properly on ice. I just make really tight turns. As some highschool teacher have told me, while turning put pressure towards your heels, and while stopping, pressure towards your toes.

Another thing connected to hockey but not necessarily to skating is puck-handling. If you rollerblade, and develop your skating first, your puck-handling skills will sorta suck as some previous posters have hinted at . If you wanna learn skating to play hockey, don't delay the puck+stick part of it. I rollerblade during the entire summer, and play a tiny amount of hockey during winter, and I can't puck-handle either.

Anyways, the solution to all the problems is to practice alot. Playing hockey is the best I find, because it developps your different skills simultaneously.

Good Luck and don't be afraid to fall!