Thread: Speculation: Leadership
View Single Post
Old
03-07-2012, 07:21 AM
Wisent42

vCash: 500
What qualities are we looking for in a captain? I sometimes get the feeling that fans demand it to be a guy that leads the team in scoring points, when he is not picking fights and blocking shots, and upon that he also has to be smart and charismatic and have natural leadership. I'm sorry to break it to you, but there are no unicorns, and Steve Yzerman has retired.

To me a captain is someone who leads by example. Who's always giving and effort and who's always willing to give some more. I loved Drury in the last conference final against Senators when he was hurt twice and still kept going. The second incident was when he blocked a slapshot with his foot and couldn't stand up so he more or less crawled around out there begging for another. That's leadership. Or just stupid.

I saw some of that in Grier, and he was always talked well about by the young guns. (What's he doing now by the way? Is he coaching material?) I thought Gaustad had some of it, but he's gone, and whenever the group changes, the roles also change. A leader could emerge where we least expect it.

And as someone stated above - we don't know what goes on in the locker room. My captain criteria is limited to what I want to see on the ice, and I'm not seing nearly enough from any of the letters on this team.

Wisent42 is online now   Reply With Quote