Thread: Post-Game Talk: Habs lose 5-4
View Single Post
Old
03-08-2012, 12:23 AM
Talks to Goalposts

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I think we had the ''opportunity'' to see just how important a coach can be unfold in front of our eyes this year.
Look at our record under Martin as opposed to RC.

Of course, you can say that a coach is absolutely garbage and unimportant when there's a guy like RC behind the bench. But when you have one that actually makes your team play better than what most observers pegged them to, which is what happened under Martin, then you know a coach can make a difference.

You never stop learning, even as a pro, players are still learning. It's not like they've learned everything that there is to know once they reach 25.
I think NHL coaching is akin to NHL goaltending. There isn't a huge difference between the most of the guys teams have in terms of consistent impact on their team's fortunes (although you can see large impacts over short periods of time from goaltending and probably from coaching too). The real limits of what most coaches can do get hit pretty fast (although I believe someone like Bylsma might be getting more out of his lineup than most, call them the Thomas or Lundqvist of this analogy).

The big impact is if your stuck with someone notably sub-par and it sinks your team like sup-par goaltending has sunk Tampa or Toronto or even Philadelphia in recent years.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote