Thread: Your nightmare
View Single Post
Old
03-08-2012, 12:55 AM
WhiskeySeven
Give her the Defence

vCash: 500
Jesus Christ LG, you can't say he's bottom of the barrel when I just went over TEN GMs who have made objectively worse (potentially worse, in Polie's case) moves than him. That's not including Holmgren either.

I want a cup too, I think it's more likely to come from organizational stability than from blowing it up every 3 years. I did mention the "best" GMs and it really comes down to luck and vision. Since the lockout only DET and PEN came close to winning the cup twice and they are both from the extremes of the team-building spectrum.

I don't want a team built on ELCs that'll dismantle. Nor a team that's rag-tag and full of mercenaries like the Panthers this year.

It's not about Gauthier, I don't know ANYTHING about the guy, I just see the direction and motivation and I like it.

Gainey's tenure explicitly stated that they wanted to join the elite teams of the league, the ones that regularly make the playoffs and have a prospect pipeline and attract FAs. I love that idea, I absolutely believe in it. I'd rather have an organization like SJS than Anaheim. I want the Habs to be a playoff lock every year, for ******** pundits like Dreger say that they're the "beast of the East" kinda thing.

Tanking, selling off Gorges/Pleks/DD/Cole to get a potential superstar like McKinnon doesn't guarantee anything and it's a terrifying idea. Firing a steady, patient GM (historically, GMs with a longer tenure give better results) for a doofus like Pierre McGuire is terrifying. Ruining whatever reputation we have among the league in an attempt to bottom out is terrifying. That "dirty diving smurfs" rep that was obviously false really made us look bad - imaging how much worse it'd be if we were "that ****** team that no one wants and has language issues to boot"? Oh wait, I remember. It was ten years ago and it was the worst time to be a ****ing fan. I don't want that ever again, no one does.

This year sucks, and it sucks mighty fierce. JM was boring but Cunneyworth really ****ed things up too. Goat's probably going to get replaced but I don't think it merits a replacement, he hasn't had much time to flexibility in his 2.5 years and whateve he has done seem reasonable and intelligent. Yes, even trading for Kraperle is reasonable. If you disagree, well... tough.

Also, lumping four different GM eras together to make a weak point like "we haven't contended in 20 years!!" is annoying and false and I wish you'd stop doing that.

WhiskeySeven is online now   Reply With Quote