View Single Post
Old
03-08-2012, 06:53 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
Unfortunately its one thing to say you have to be prepared to be without Markov and quite another one to actually be prepared for it. Replacement Markovs aren't easy to find.

They were doing pretty well with the combination of Hamrlik-Wisniewski together giving an approximation of his value but even finding two guys like that isn't an easy proposition. It would have been 9 million in salary for the two of them this year. And from the list of upcoming UFA's it doesn't look like even the equivalent of the two of them is available this season unless a Suter miracle happens. Maybe if you land two of Garrison/Carle/Jackman, which I kinda doubt would happen. They'd only really have the summer cap space to do that if there is an amnesty buyout and they use it both on Gomez and Kaberle. If the solution to Gomez is Hamilton/Europe then the summer cap will prevent using Markov's LTIR to get anyone for the upcoming year.

Realistically rolling the dice on Markov may be the most likely bet to get a strong blueline next season.
I think in order for the blueline to take a big step forward next year...

1-Markov has to come back this year and show he is healthy and still has it, wether the last 8-10 NHL games or WC's.

2-We need to sign a top stay at home/shutdown type d-man like Jackman Allen Grossman who can play 19-22 minutes a night.

I think Subban will take a step forward next year, he had a bit of a setback this year but has played much better the last 12-15 games. Emelin and Diaz would be #5-6, both played bigger roles this year and should be ready to step up in case of injuries with a year NHL under their belt. That would give us a strong top 6 with Weber as #7(or St.Denis).