View Single Post
Old
03-08-2012, 09:15 AM
Iain Fyffe
Hockey fact-checker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
It's not like Luongo was the reason they won the gold, Henrik had the more impressive Gold medal performance.
That's not how this works. Winning a championship is listed on an individual player's resume despite it being a team accomplishment.

People say "Luongo's never won anything, that means he's not clutch!"

The response is, of course "He won the championship in the most pretigious and difficult international tournament." (.927 tournament save percentage, .944 in the gold-medal game, 1.000 in overtime)

The retort comes back "Yeah, but they would have won it without him!" (Generally translates to: championships are important, unless they're won by a player I don't like.)

That's simply not valid. If you want to consider team accomplishment when evaluating players, you have to accept them for everyone. And if you're going to go through and analyze each player's performance, why then use the shorthand of championships? And then, what about players who dominated in playoffs but played for mediocre teams, and therefore never actually won a championship? The "Championships" crowd will still say "Yeah, what did he ever win?"

In my experience, trotting out championships is an effort to support a predetermined conclusion, not as a data point to make a determination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuineaPig View Post
I've always found it amusing how hard people have tried to downplay Luongo's performance in 2010.
Agreed, and moreover the focus on team accomplishments when evaluating individual players is pretty short-sighted sometimes.

Iain Fyffe is offline   Reply With Quote