Thread: Diaz and Weber
View Single Post
Old
03-09-2012, 02:16 AM
Miller Time

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Can we afford to let Weber develop on our thin defense for 3 years? Does he have that much potential? Can't we just sign a mostly defensive defensemen to surround Subban, Diaz and Markov?
that's a consideration for sure...

but honestly, btw Diaz/Weber, I'm more inclined to keep Weber (and a big part of that lies in the reality that we could quite likely get a much MUCH better return for Diaz, than for Weber, right now, and I strongly believe that within 1-2 seasons, Weber will be playing as good/better than Diaz).

in the short-term of next season, it MAY be a slight "donwgrade", but if we add assets in the process it's a positive overall move. Trading Weber for peanuts, or pulling a Pouliot and letting him go for nothing because Gauthier figures we are fine without him, would be a waste of an asset that has a real chance/likelihood of appreciating in the near future.

personally, I'd keep both Diaz/Weber.

Imo, nothing wrong with:

Subban - Gorges
??? - Markov
Diaz - Emelin
Weber

as long as the ??? is a solid defensive dman who can handler ~20min/night (Stuart/Jackman type).

If the ??? is Kaberle, than having Weber as the depth dman is far more problematic... but any reasonable GM would move Kaberle asap, especially if Markov is expected to play next year (Markov going LTIR again or retiring, would be the only scenario whereby Kaberle in a habs uniform next year could make any sense).

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote