View Single Post
Old
03-09-2012, 03:32 AM
vexXed

vCash: 500
I had to cringe a little when you said you were getting 'Bauer somethings' - a common mistake (which I also made) for beginner players is that they get the wrong skate for their foot and this can hamper the ability to skate at their best. With my first pair of skates I had a whole extra inch of room for my toes so it was like skating on skis. Plus they didn't support my high arch and were too low for my high instep. Different brands have different kinds of fit and you should make sure the skate you get is the right one. Do you have flat feet? High arches? Low or high instep? Heel width? All these things matter when selecting a fitted skate.

If you are starting out then of course you will want to see if you will stick with it (I'm sure you will ) and not splash out on the most expensive out there. At the same time you don't wanna get cheap skates that will break down fairly quickly either. It is best to go to a skate shop and get someone who knows their stuff to get you fitted properly. It will save a lot of frustration in the long run.

It is best to get your skating up to par if you want to start playing in leagues. I see too many people who learn the bare minimum of skating and then can't contribute much when playing on a team. At the very least you should get your skating down to - stopping on both sides, tight turns and skating backwards. You can then move on to crossovers and backwards crossovers, toe starts and proper stride technique.

When I wanted to play I didn't know how to skate at all. I went with a friend 3 times a week for just over a month before joining a beginner hockey class. The one thing for sure is the better you are at skating, the better you will be at hockey at that level.

vexXed is offline   Reply With Quote