Old
03-09-2012, 09:08 AM
Stories
Science!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
@Vexxed

The Bauers seem to fit me fine (when I tried them on in the store) and they were really cheap for new skates. Since I'm just learning I didn't want to spend any real $$$ on high end, perfect fitting skates.

Also, I've heard from LOTS of people that learning how to skate is a necessity to being even below average in men's leagues. I've told myself that I want to be a great skater, not good, before I even pick up a stick. If that means it takes a year then that's what it means. I don't expect to be the best guy on the ice but I'm too competitive to be the worst.
I skated regularly for two years before I even thought about playing any real hockey. Get competent using both edges, stopping on both sides, crossing over, transitioning from forward to backward (and vice versa). Skating is the hardest part of learning to play hockey, the other stuff can follow if you understand how your body feels and handles on ice.

I've skated since 2007-ish, but didn't really start playing hockey until late 2009/early 2010-ish, and I'm now one of the best guys on my D-level team in my league (and I could hold my own on a C-level team). And it's all because of my skating ability. My hockey skills themselves, in comparison, aren't that fantastic.

Stories is offline   Reply With Quote