View Single Post
Old
03-09-2012, 12:34 PM
Lafleurs Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreaterikku View Post
Seriously people, stop with that: "We never had good pick."

I don't see the Redwings crying here. They are a powerhouse since like forever, never drafted a top-20 player since 1991 but instead focused on winning and training players in a good way. Face it people, we have a good scout but everything around is borderline epic stupid. We can't develop our own players properly.
You can't expect to regularly draft superstars without getting top picks. Detroit has done it with some regularity but I doubt even they will be able to continue doing this. The exception does not prove the rule.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Calling Detroit "lucky" is denial. Detroit isnt lucky. They have a top notch organization from top to bottom.......from the GM down to their scouting staff and everything in between.

Unfortunately, our management down to scouting is not as effective and therefore has not been "lucky".
Yes and no.

They have been extremely lucky. Getting Fedorov was stupidly lucky. Everyone knew how good that guy was but nobody drafted him because nobody thought he'd come over. That was luck. They drafted him expecting him to never come over... same as us when we drafted Tretiak.

As for the other guys... you can't tell me there isn't some luck involved here. If they knew that Lidstrom was going to be that good, they are flat out stupid for leaving him out there until the third round. Philly drafted a minor league teammate of his for Pete's sake. If they KNEW he was going to be one of the best defensemen ever, they would've taken him much much sooner. You're going to tell me that they risked losing him for Mike Sillinger? Absolutely, there is luck there. Ditto with Datsyuk and Zetterberg. Yes, they spent the money on scouting. Yes, they deserve credit for picking those players but you can't sit there and tell me that their plan all along was to wait until the late rounds and draft superstars. It's not all luck but c'mon man... They landed Fedorov and Lidstrom... in the SAME DRAFT. after taking Sillinger and Boughner... how is there no luck there? C'mon dude.

Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 03-09-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote