View Single Post
Old
03-09-2012, 12:51 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain Fyffe View Post
Indeed. Cam Ward is also viewed as CLUTCH. He's so clutch that he can't even get his team into the playoffs most of the time!
I see your overall point and don't really disagree that consistency is as important as "clutchness". But if you ask anybody, and I mean ANYBODY, who has followed Ward's career they will confirm that he raises and lowers his level of play based on the intensity around him. When the team is sleepwalking, he is good enough but very beatable. But he turns into a different player when there's a sense of urgency and focus. The eyeball test is unmistakeable.

Part of it has to do with his demeanor.... you'll rarely meet a more "normal" goalie personality-wise. Just completely calm, stable all the time. When the chips are down, he doesn't seem to mind the extra pressure at all. Just takes the effort up a notch while remaining unflappable. It's visible in his body language.

That said, I don't think he's remotely close to a HOF induction. Maybe for that exact reason -- a lack of consistency. If he was in that playoff zone all the time, he'd be a Vezina candidate.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote