View Single Post
Old
03-09-2012, 06:37 PM
stan the caddy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esa 10 View Post
Biron has been playing mostly at a below average level for a backup for a couple of months now. Most of his wins during this time span have been due to excellent team defense, timely scoring and poor level of opposition.

Taking his whole season into consideration, he's had an average to slightly above average year for a backup. Nothing wrong with that and I wouldn't mind having him back next year. However, his lengthy dip in form highlights the fact that he shouldn't be getting a raise next year. He's fine at his cap hit but any demands for a substantial salary increase would lead me to look elsewhere. I'm not saying he's looking for one, but Biron is only useful to this team at 875-925k.

While there are worse back-ups around, there are quite a few who come out of AHL / Europe every year and play at a high level. Elliot was thrown on the scrap heap last year by Colorado. McDonald is a 31 year old who came up from AHL and has been awesome for Detroit. A guy like Bishop looks to have a solid future ahead of him. Not basing it off last night's game, Ottawa traded for him because of his high level of play in the minors. Hell, Tampa gave up on Mike Smith and he's carried the Yotes this season as a starter. There's plenty of depth around the league in the goaltending position. You don't need a high-end youngster like Rask or Schneider to have a good back-up.

This brings me to the organizational weakness NYR have in goal. If Henrik or Biron go down, there's no one in the minors to trust starting a game at the NHL level. The team would be in the same situation it was last year after the deadline. That's inexcusable.

People touting Johnson, Talbot, Stajcer must not know them. None of the 3 are NHL material. To put it bluntly, they are garbage. Johnson still can't find consistency at the AHL level. Talbot is an ECHL goalie who can't even beat him out. Stajcer struggles in the OHL. Wasted contract.

This is not difficult to rectify. Sign a good AHL vet for Hartfod who can come up to play in NY if someone is injured. Scour Europe and NCAA for good young undrafted goalies. There's a lot of talent developing late in the position. No need to blow a 1st or 2nd rounder. The Whale would benefit too. Most importantly, don't re-sign Johnson and Talbot this summer. They need someone there who won't embarrass in NY if called upon. They should and easily can do better.
Oh yea, because most team's have an NHL caliber player stuffed in the minors waiting for the number one and two goalies to go down with an injury...

Biron's been fine. Of course, Rangers fans always need a scapegoat, even when their team is amongst the league's best.

stan the caddy is offline   Reply With Quote