View Single Post
Old
03-10-2012, 01:22 PM
adsfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclones Rock View Post
I see a ton of ECHL games each year and only a few AHL games. But, I think I understand what you're saying.

One of the great things about ECHL hockey is the number of small players who can really skate and are natural scorers. Many of these players aren't quite quick enough to make it to the AHL or be effective in that league if they make it there, but are far more enjoyable to watch than some plodding AHL 3rd and 4rth liners.

The ECHL is also much more "winning oriented" than the AHL. The primary mission of an AHL coach is to develop a few of his players for future roles in the NHL and the systems that are played (usually dreadfully boring defensively-oriented ones) aren't as entertaining as those employed in the ECHL. For instance, the Cincinnati Cyclones play a very up tempo, offense first style. They'll give up some goals that they wouldn't if they played a different style, but they score some incredibly cool goals (and give up some) as a result of their offensively geared system. In the AHL, winning is sometimes sacrificed for the greater goal of development and that is rarely the case in the ECHL.
You are saying that the ECHL has replaced the old IHL. Milwaukee scored 400 goals one season in the 1980s. That is averaging 5 goals a game with the same style.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote