View Single Post
Old
03-10-2012, 03:29 PM
hockeyfreak7

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
I'm not saying Voracek shouldn't get hit because he's not paying attention. I'm saying the ********** Kronwall hit him square in the HEAD. It's a headshot. What's so hard about this?
Read the head shot rule one more time:

Quote:
48.1 Illegal Check to the Head – A hit resulting in contact with an opponent's head where the head is targeted and the principal point of contact is not permitted. However, in determining whether such a hit should have been permitted, the circumstances of the hit, including whether the opponent put himself in a vulnerable position immediately prior to or simultaneously with the hit or the head contact on an otherwise legal body check was avoidable, can be considered.

I dont know what else there is to say. Voracek put his head in a vulnerable position immediately prior to the hit. The responsibility is his, not Kronwall's.

Everybody says the NHL is inconsistent in their logic, but I disagree. It's one of two things when it comes to head shots.

A player is hit in the head after making no sudden movement of the head. The head contact could have been avoided. Responsibility is on the hitter for not making contact.

OR

A player is hit in the head after making a sudden movement of the head to a vulnerable position. The head contact could not have been avoided by any reasonable action of the hitter. Responsibility is on the victim to not receive contact to the head.

I think Shanahan has done a pretty damn good job of being consistent to that logic. Obviously Voracek falls into the second statement. No suspension. Right call. Voracek agrees with it too.

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote