View Single Post
Old
03-11-2012, 03:06 PM
smon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
Ribeiro: maybe – he also acknowledged it (family = maturity) but he never requested a trade, skipped a flight or pouted la Grabovski or Sergei Kostitsyn. Are you referring to his fight against Koivu? Koivu was mad because Ribeiro was "stealing" some of his TOI; Ribeiro defended himself!
It's funny, people often link the fight to Ribiero's departure and act like he was traded for outplaying Koivu. But Ribiero was actually traded after a fairly off year where he was outplayed by Koivu. In fact, the year prior where he led the team in scoring, he really only did so because Koivu was injured, and he played quite poorly in the playoffs.

I suspect that the real reason Gainey wanted to ship him out of town was his off-ice adventures with Theodore and Dagenais- notice that the three amigos all left town around the same time. Why the team was preoccupied with their off-ice adventures, I don't know, but it was probably it. Not a Gainey player because of that, plus poor attitude and weak defensively.

Even looking at it now, I don't see how much of an impact Ribiero would have had for the club. He probably would have blocked Plekanec for a couple of years, then when Koivu's contract expired, we'd have Ribiero and Plekanec as the top two.

So what would have happened? No Gomez trade, maybe. But I think that by that time we'd all be saying that Ribiero is soft and not a big centre, etc, etc, etc...and right now Desharnais is a similarly soft but skilled playmaking centre. Their numbers are quite close in fact.

All that said, Gainey was quite right to trade him, no need for another soft playmaker, but the return was just so abysmal. Very poor pro scouting of Ninimaa, who was washed up by then.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote