Thread: Speculation: Kari's next contract
View Single Post
Old
03-11-2012, 05:55 PM
Alistar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
I'd like to get an idea of what others are thinking as far as what kind of contract extension we're looking at for Lehtonen. I tend to be in the camp that thinks you shouldn't really pay a goalie very a crazy amount of money but I don't think GMJN is on the same page as I am with that. With the way Kari played last season and now this season I believe he has been as good as anyone could we be looking at a 6+ million a year cap hit?
I'm with you in the don't pay top dollars for goalies camp, there's just too many damn good goalies out there available for cheap (and goaltender performance tends to be way too erratic to reliably predict) to go in deep on a contract for a goalie. There's alot of reasons to say don't give Kari a big contract, instead try and find a nice replacement on the cheap.

On the other hand I also believe in rewarding a guy for past performance, and for that reason I won't complain if they do give him somewhere in the range of 5-6 million. My only suggestion would be that they limit the length of the extension to 3-4 years, to provide some flexibility in case the injury problems do return or his performance does crater.

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote