View Single Post
Old
03-11-2012, 05:39 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

vCash: 500
Stick time questions

I got my hockey skates today and I plan to try them out a couple of times this week. I'm not a total n00b to skating, as I did speedskating for a couple of years back from 2002-2004. I haven't been on the ice much since then but I did go on Friday with some rental hockey skates and it wasn't too bad. I worked on stopping, skating backwards, and just getting my balance back. Not going to try the crossovers yet, not until I trust my edges a bit more.

The rink where I skate has VERY limited public sessions - there is only one day a week that I can do those, and it can get kind of crowded. That's ok for some of the things I want to do, I can practice moving around lots of obstacles, having to stop suddenly, etc.

I've noticed that there are a ton of sticktime sessions that I could fit into my schedule - pretty much every single day has at least one that I could do. And there are also some pick-up game times that would fit in there down the road, once I actually have been skating with a stick a little bit.

To do sticktime, you have to be fully dressed with all protective gear. OK, fine. If that's the only way I can get on there, that may be what I need to do. But I'm nervous that I'll be the only one out there without a clue as to what I'm doing. I'd like to just kind of get used to skating with a stick, practice crossovers, etc. - nothing too fancy for the time being.

Is it common for new players to just show up with a stick and skate around, or is sticktime more for people to practice shooting, passing, etc? Would I be in the way if I'm just practicing my skating?

I had really hoped to take the hockey 101 class and then at least I'd know what I need to work on during my ice time. I don't know when that is going to be, though - last year it was during April but so far it hasn't been put on the schedule. They have loaner equipment for that class so I wouldn't have to shell out the $$$ right away. If that doesn't pan out, I'd still like to start playing. I'm pretty good at working on things on my own, if I have a little guidance. Would a private lesson or two be good in that case? If I have someone to show me what to do and give me some drills to practice when I'm at the rink, I can do it - I just need the initial help to get things started.

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote