View Single Post
Old
03-12-2012, 10:11 AM
roffleburger

vCash: 500
As someone who is 29 and only started playing ice hockey a year ago, I definitely know where you're coming from. I ran weekly pickup games with some friends who are very good for about 8 months before I decided to join a beer league.

The skill level was a bit lower than I was used to (individually from each player) playing against, but the level of teamwork was infinitely higher. Most of our current team is a bunch of younger guys (20-25), and most of the teams we face are 30+, but don't let their age fool you! The older guys in your league probably have been playing for 10+ years, and have been playing with the same guys, so they will move the puck like nobody's business.

As someone who is in the same boat as you (decent speed, not the greatest stickhandling), I found what really helped me learn my position (aside from watching other people) is playing Be A Pro on NHL 11/12 for Xbox360/PS3. You play a position and only that position and if you're out of position, the game tells you where you should be. As funny as it sounds, that game taught me where I should generally be when we're in the offensive or defensive zone.

Other than that, keep your head up, make the safe pass as opposed to the difficult one, and skate hard and sub off, your teammates will appreciate this more than I can explain.

Cheers and good luck!

roffleburger is offline   Reply With Quote