View Single Post
Old
03-12-2012, 10:40 AM
Lafleurs Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
More like Roy couldn't shut Flames down while Vernon could shut Canadiens down. Flames were #1 in the NHL that year and Habs were #2 in the NHL and #1 in the East(or Wales). It was the two most dominant teams in the NHL that season. Habs had a very strong team and fantastic defense. I thought they had the series when they went up 2-1 (still remember Ryan Walter in double OT) but they got sub-par goaltending (didn't make the big saves like Vernon did) the next three games and lost two of those games at home. I apologise for my tone but you may also want to listen to your own advice on relaxing.

Fleury was a rookie in 1989 who had just been called up late in the season but did contribute in that Flames Cup run (I got laughed at when I took him late in my playoff pool that year). I believe in your reference to his book (which I have read), he was talking about when he played with Roy in Colorado.
We had a great team in '89 but Calgary was just plain too strong. I didn't feel that Roy was that great that year either (I know his numbers looked good but he just didn't feel 'on' that postseason.)

Fleury, Gilmour, MacInnis, Suter, Mullen, Newy, Roberts, Otto.... one hell of a team. If I remember correctly I think they outscored the Oilers that year.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote