View Single Post
Old
03-13-2012, 06:46 PM
hotcarle

vCash: 500
Off the top of my head, I can say that Stanley Cup winners over the past 10 years have had an abundance of top 5 picks in their lineups...often not their own choices.

Last year, though Seguin wasn't much of an impact, there was still 3rd overall Horton.

Chicago and Pittsburgh speak for themselves

Detroit is the exception to the rule, but success has allowed them to have first choice of free agents, and late draft steals from the 90s and early 00s have produced elite talent.

Anaheim didn't have their top 2 forward Bobby Ryan in the lineup, but had top 5 D Niedermeyer and Pronger there on the blueline...I believe Rob Niedermeyer was also a top 5 pick from Pronger's year.

Carolina had top 2 Staal, and even top 3 Ladd on the 4th line, and Aaron Ward on D.

The Lightning had Lecavalier

The Devils had the aforementioned Scott Niedermeyer

The Red Wings...well the Red Wings are the Red Wings

I think ten years or so is long enough...

As for the Blue Jackets, Islanders and Panthers....Idiots in charge can do a lot of damage....recently though...besides Tavares, the Isles have had two top 5 picks, but they were both #5, and not ready-made superstars. Give them a few years. The Panthers...well... bad luck I guess....that and getting little in trades for top 3 picks Horton, Bouwmeister, and Luongo (Isles pick).

Last edited by hotcarle: 03-13-2012 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Forgot Aaron Ward...how can you forget Aaron Ward?
hotcarle is offline   Reply With Quote