View Single Post
Old
03-14-2012, 12:35 AM
r3cc0s

vCash: 500
I don't think there is any: "empirical" proof that a high end helmet protects any better than your typical VN foam helmet

personally I love my vintage HT2, and my 692... my V10 helmet is sitting on my shelf, as I just prefer the fit of the VN foam to EPP

anyways...
beginners fall alot, don't move their feet, and fall on their own

that in itself, I would suggest that they don't buy "low-level" gear... in fact I'd be willing to bet that most people, like me, who grab the softie elbow pads and the "just-enough" shin pads, cheapo pants and who don't rock shoulder pads, aren't beginners (or are just poor)

I wear "just-enough" pants (Warrior Syko), no shoulders, One15 softie elbows, and 5030 shin pads... but I do spend my cash on my skates and my gloves as they truely affect my performance

for a beginner, I think i'd be prudent to get a decent pair of pants with a padded belt and good tailbone protection, reasonable shoulder pads (shouldn't have to worry about blocking shots, just enough to protect the clavicle and shoulder itself), and decent "hard-cap" elbow pads like a RBK 5k and shin pads that absorb a self-induced fall direct impact on the knee cap.
Actually, I'd say the One55 stuff all around is perfect for a beginner (no preference, just saying its available and usually on sale)

Gloves... well at the end of the day, the more expensive the glove, the better the feel, materials and time to actually become "usable".... the fit & the palm is so important to feel, and low end Nash feels nothing like a good Clarino and nothing is worse than a stiff glove with a terrible cuff.
only thing is, possible that the pu plastics will make a "high-end" glove heavier, but your hands and your feet are what actually play the game.

So... I say, beginners should rock mid-level protection and not worry about skates and should buy "decent" gloves (especially if they're commited to the game)
I also say, they should use a wood stick or a 2 piece with a wood blade to learn the feel of the puck, the feel of the pass and to better learn how to roll the puck off the blade for all releases.
A 2 piece wood stick is maybe even "preferable" as often times a short 47" shaft, can accomdoate butt end attachments/changes, and as such, they can learn what is comfortable (and they should start "short", but most people don't as they skate with straight legs)

Now, if you're not playing contact, and typically never fall under your own power, and known how to fall... buy whatever the heck is comfortable to you, and with that... unless you're playing in a very chippy league
Most guys I know will rock "just" enough to keep mobile and cool

the guys who walk into the change room with the full on UA litatard, NHL team jerseys and RBK 11k fresh off the shelf kit, is usually the worse player by a long shot...
usually the same guy who slams and breaks his brand new totalONE after he wiff's a wrister

Last edited by r3cc0s: 03-14-2012 at 12:42 AM.
r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote