View Single Post
Old
03-14-2012, 07:52 AM
Gatorade*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durkin67 View Post
I actually pondered the same thing yesterday. Previous groups had to move futures for established assets to impact not only the club, but the acting management groups' employability. It may have come to that. Burke is in tough to justify his employment and without the acquisition of a legit franchise player regardless of the cost, he may be shown the door.

question is, who is that franchise player? do you have Nonis go after Luongo? Is VAN ready to thrust Schneider into the limelight? If Lou poops the bed in the playoffs again, it might be the case.

Or do you target a top flight forward? How long can a losing franchise like CAR afford Staal? Sure, they have cap, but they also have an internal budget...

I think the writing is on the wall. without consistent goaltending, this team goes nowhere. If you can't keep the puck from crossing your goal line, no superstar rookie is going to bail you out.

If Burke can land an impact player via trade (JVR is my best guess), move out some dead wood players, and do something about the goaltending, theres a chance he can salvage this thing next year...but the honeymoon is waaay over...time to make something happen...
Burke hung his hat on Phil Kessel as the franchise up front and Phaneuf as the franchise on the back. He then signed Reimer as the "real deal" between the pipes.

Maybe he will go and try to trade for another franchise like player. Somehow I doubt he will be able to pull it off. He is running out of assets to trade without completely destroying the team for another 7 years.

Gatorade* is offline   Reply With Quote