View Single Post
Old
03-14-2012, 09:26 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
Bringing it over here because it's important enough to talk about on its own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
That proposed rule is the worst suggestion I've heard since the trapezoid. No, it's even worse than that. "Let's add yet another line on the ice and effectively increase the size of the neutral zone to encourage a new style of trap." Seriously, who comes up with this crap?

Possibly just as bad is the (shot down) suggestion to not only make defensive hand passes illegal, but to make them a minor penalty. There's fantastically solid reasons for allowing the hand passes (keeps sticks lower improving safety, and keeps the game moving because the defense can't draw a faceoff with an intentional hand pass). Removing them really serves no purpose, and would be a case of change for change's sake.

If they want a to reverse the imagined decrease in scoring (5v5 scoring per 60 minutes is unchanged since the lockout) just reeducate refs to the point they understand that Detroit style "subtle interference" is still interference. Call those penalties as penalties and overall scoring will increase again.
I like the concept of getting rid of those slap passes and cutting down on dump-and-chase, but I don't like the idea of yet another line. The problem is, if you whistle down those plays, then you slow the game down with stoppages. It's annoying.

Not a fan of the trapezoid, but it's not bad either.

They need to nix the delay of game for clearing the puck penalty. Faceoff in your end, make the players stay on the ice, that's good enough.

I dislike eliminating hand passes in the D zone for the reasons you mentioned. I was thinking the same thing watching the game last night, and it would be annoying as anything to stop the game yet again.

Totally agree on that subtle interference. If you're making contact with a player trying to get the puck, that's literally interference. They are making subtle picks with their shoulders which looks like incidental contact.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote