View Single Post
Old
02-09-2006, 07:28 PM
JonQuixote

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy
This deal in no way takes into consideration the wants or needs of the San Jose Sharks. I can see absolutely no reason why SJ would make this deal.
What does San Jose need? Another defenseman (like MacLaren) and maybe some support on the wing, yes. Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not following that team too well.

Calgary doesn't need Kyle Mac, even after losing Leopold. They're still nice & fat on the blue line.

I think that - assuming San Jose is willing to move Patrick Marleau - you could work something out with Lombardi and Leopold. Lombardi represents a downgrade at 2nd line centre, but maybe not a tremendous one and certainly with potential to be as comparable as Marleau a year or two down the line. Leopold's a solid defensman right now, with decent experience and good potential to improve into something even better.

Maybe you throw in a bump of draft pick to SJ to sweeten the pot a little and incite them to trade (Calgary's 2nd for SJ's 3rd) and you've got something that's pretty fair. And you've got something that Calgary's willing to do.

The question is, does San Jose do it? Marleau's playing really well - especially since Thornton shows up. You hang on to him and you've got your Lecavalier-Richards or Forsberg-Sakic pairing for the next half-decade or so. Does SJ maybe think that $4 million could be better spread elsewhere? Maybe. But they're nowhere near having cap problems, so it's not like Marleau's holding them back from resigning other players or UFAs.

So if I'm San Jose, I don't do it unless it's an offer I can't refuse. I don't just want fair value, I want my socks blown off. Or I want a player of equal or potentially greater value (not just parts that add up) that fills a pressing need - to Philadelphia for Joni Pitkanen. Etc.