View Single Post
02-09-2006, 09:19 PM
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: San Carlos
1) Marleau wasn't doing squat before Joe Thornton came. FALSE!
Marleau was over a PPG and was the only player consistently scoring before the Thornton trade. A notoriously slow starter in years past, Marleau has been quite consistent and it looks like he's finally maturing and showing his full potential (he's only 26 years old).
2) Marleau plays second line center on this team and is paid 4 million dollars so the Sharks must be looking to trade him to free up cap space. FALSE!
Sharks aren't anywhere near the cap, not even with Nabokov's new overpriced contract. Marleau scoring at his current pace shows he deserves his 4 million per year. As has been mentioned, Marleau would be a first line center on many teams, but I'm sure the Sharks management is enjoying their 1-2 punch down the middle.
3) The Sharks look like they aren't going to make the playoffs, so they must be looking to blow up the team. FALSE!
There is nobody to blow up. We started the year with only two players over the age of 30, Scott Thornton and Nabokov. Everyone else is young and/or a core player: Joe Thornton 26, Patrick Marleau 26, Jonathon Cheecho 25, Nils Ekman 29, Alyn McCauley 28, Mark Smith 28, Scott Hannan 26, Kyle McLaren 28, Tom Preissing 28. And then there are the rookies: Milan Michalek, Steve Bernier, Marcel Goc, Grant Stevenson, Ryan Clowe, Christian Ehrhoff, Josh Gorges, and Doug Murray).
We really don't have anyone that we need to get rid of, other than scrubs like Jim Fahey, Niko Dimitrakos, and maybe Rob Davison. Oh and Vesa Toskala. He's not a scrub! As much as I hope he will resign with the Sharks, I know there is a 95% chance that won't happen, so look for Doug Wilson to trade Toskala before the deadline. While we are not looking to trade any of our core players, if some GM wants to OVERPAY to get someone, I'm sure Doug Wilson will listen. We are not rebuilding, so don't expect any core players to be traded for picks/prospects.
What the Sharks need:
1) PP quarterback who can defensively play in the top 4. Ehrhoff might become this eventually, but we need someone now.
2) Top 6 scoring winger. We lack scoring depth on the wings after losing Marco Sturm and Alexander Korolyuk. Marleau is playing with two rookies. Getting Owen Nolan for free would be awesome.
3) Some veteran presence in the locker room. The team misses Ricci and Damphousse!
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by HipCzech