View Single Post
Old
03-15-2012, 10:32 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Outside of Suter, I agree that there really is no other D that Dallas should target, but I don't believe signing Suter means you don't sign Souray.

First off, I'll be shocked if Suter isn't locked up with Nashville before July 1st. I believe that Suter and Weber want to play for a franchise committed to winning, and I believe Nashville has probably done enough to prove to those two that they are serious. Plus, maybe more so for Suter than Weber, they'd be dumb to break up the bromance. Those two together have to be one of the best D pairs and most enjoyable to watch in the league. So, I don't even consider Suter a realistic target at this point.

I'm not a big Souray fan, but he grows on me ... when he actually plays. However, I don't care too much that he's hurt a ton because it would be nice to get some of the Texas guys next year a few games (Jordie Benn, Dillon, Oleksiak, and Nemeth).

Like I said, I don't believe Suter is even going to hit the market, and I'd like to see Souray locked up sooner rather than later. There's no one that's worth paying long term, big money too that can replace Souray right now, and I truly believe he'll sign a short term contract (thanks to being 35+) at a reasonable cap hit.

I'm sure you could land a better player than Souray without much trouble in free agency. I just think those players cost more with longer terms, and they'll stand in the way of developing players.

Plus, let's just say Suter actually makes it to FA and he picks Dallas over every other team, Dallas can live with 8 D for a while: Suter, Goligoski, Daley, Larsen, Fistric, Robidas, Souray, and Pardy. Just like this year when Fistric and Larsen both emerged as Top 6 D, Dallas rolled with 8 until they were able to trade Grossmann for a nice return.

So ... my guess is Suter and Weber re-sign in Nashville, and Dallas rewards Souray with a 2 year contract averaging between $2.75 and $3.5 million per year. I think they'll slightly overpay based on their belief he is a key shutdown D and can maintain that level for at least 2 more years. The 2nd year lowers the annual cap hit.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote