View Single Post
Old
03-16-2012, 12:01 AM
BigG44

vCash: 500
Finally ..... I don't buy Heika's last doomsday comment at all, "And, of course, there is the dreaded thought of what if they don't get anyone to sign here..."

It's not the end of the world, and it's far from dreaded. Signing Top 6 forwards and top pairing D in free agency is scary. In nearly every case, you are taking a huge risk with a big, big contract. I don't know that there's a perfect situation that's going to present itself year in and year out like Ryder and Souray did this year. I just mean that they were able to fill two pretty big roles with surprisingly low risk contracts (only 2 years for Ryder and 1 for Souray). If you keep trying to add key players in FA, you'll eventually fork over a big money deal or you'll keep taking risks on bargains and your luck will eventually run out.

If they believe Suter or Parise are special and can be core players for the team, fine. Just don't settle for a Matt Carle or Alexander Semin. The team is already moving in the right direction and I don't know those fringe players who will receive big contracts are worth the risk with Dallas' growing depth of young prospects.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote