View Single Post
Old
03-16-2012, 10:45 AM
Marconius

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
That would be a specific explanation. What I am arguing, and the data is on my side, is that Gilbert has ALWAYS logged more minutes than Schultz wherever, and with whoever.

Different players have different recovery capacities. Gilbert happens to be one of those players that can play 25mins/night quite easily while staying healthy. Not many of those guys out there.
I would agree with you if both players had played for numerous teams in their careers, but I find the argument a bit disingenuous when Gilbert has played for only one team: The Oilers in the age of suck, an age where the suck is correlated with having an inadequate defense and, not surprisingly, a decent/capable defenceman like Gilbert got a lot of minutes.

Schultz on the other hand had the luxury of playing on a reportedly strong defensive team for his career and his minutes reflect that.

I also agree that Gilbert was very durable, but at what point does durability trade off for a better fit/different skillset? Steve MacIntrye was pretty durable too, doesn't mean he should be playing in place of Hemsky

Marconius is offline   Reply With Quote