View Single Post
Old
03-16-2012, 11:24 AM
Sybil227

vCash: 500
Kerry Fraser talks Nichols

In today's C'mon Ref column, Kerry Fraser relates an incident with Bernie Nichols. Amusing, so I thought I'd share:

Quote:
Bernie Nichols was not only a great player but a super guy to deal with. Bernie was a real free spirit however and you never knew from one minute to the next what was going to come out of his mouth or what he might pull. I waved off a goal scored against the L.A. Kings one night and a debate with players on the ice ensued. My mind was made up and as I broke away from the pack of players on my way to the time keeper's bench to report my decision. Bernie quickly skated up beside me and asked what the call was. When I told him NO GOAL, Bernie reached his arm around me and gave me a big hug as we continued to skate together to the box. Shocked and 'weirded-out' I said, "Bernie, what are you doing?" Bernie said with a big smile, "That was a great call and I just want to share my joy with you." As I wiggled out of his arm grasp I said, "Thanks Bern, but the other team isn't quite as joyous so no more hugs please. Go away."

Sybil227 is offline   Reply With Quote