View Single Post
Old
03-16-2012, 06:16 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Schultz is a defensive defenseman whose role is to anchor the defense when he's on the ice, so far he's been solid in that capacity, making very few mistakes and also contributing some offensively. He can play either side which gives us flexibility, it is not the players fault that the coach has overplayed the hell out of his pet Potter and underutilized him.

In your eyes we didn't, it doesn't make it so. Petry takes up more minutes and Schultz becomes our 2nd anchor on defense with Smid. Now we need to add another puck mover, something that Gilbert never grew into.

Petry is a stud, it didn't take him long to blow by Gilbert and make him expendable. Schultz is a veteran rock that can help break in and mentor the young D on this club.
Its too early to evaluate where either Petry or Schultz will put us. Sure Petry looks like a stud now. What will he look like next year? This may just be learned cynicism on my part but what player here has ever shown any kind of linear progress? Petry and Schultz may look good in comparison to a team thats lousy enough to be in 29th place. Where would both fit on a team good enough to start making some noise. I don't see either as a shutdown guy on an elite team. I see them as top 4 guys on mid level teams.
Petry looks good. He's not a stud D. I think we're just quick to look at it this way due to not really seeing any elite D play here other than Pronger.

Hell its just one season since people here were going on about how good Peckham looked. Or not long since Whitney looked good.

The only contstant in our D corps has been change..you don't build a contending team that way. At some point you identify players that will be there for the gold rush and plan around that and develop strong team cohesion.

I still have no idea who this org thinks the backbone will be either on the backend or in goal. If Schultz or Petry is your best D, and your #1 is Dubnyk you're in a world of hurt.

Yeah I know, the same applies to Gilbert.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote