Thread: Post-Game Talk: #71 Rangers vs Avalanche
View Single Post
Old
03-18-2012, 03:30 AM
Blueshirt Believer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
Boyle is not an awful player. He a GREAT PKer and effective in a shutdown role at center. His issue right now is he's the 3rd line center when he needs to be the 4th line center. We do need some more size on the wing and skilled size upfront in general. I still don't know why Torts refuses to put Dubi in front of the net on the PP. He'd be effective there with his size and his ability to handle the puck in tight places. I understand Dubi is having a down season, but give the guy a shot in that spot and he might flourish. Cally has the heart of a man 10x's his size, but he does get out muscled in front on the net y bigger defenders. Putting Dubi there might be a better option at least on PP Unit #2.
#1 Brian Boyle is GOOD Pker, and is a mediocre shutdown centerman. Any time that an opposing line has any semblance of speed or skill-he gets exposed. He is a BAD third line center, and a serviceable 4th line center. He doesn't dominate the faceoff circle, he can't skate(which is really the most damning thing about him). I am not sure if he would be a great 4th liner because he doesn't have an overpowering physical presence. Some times he lays a nice hit, but because his skating is so bad-he can't hit what he can't catch.

#2 They have tried Dubi as a screen in front of net. The problem is he does not set up screens well. He often times sets himself at the posts waiting for rebounds. He doesn't directly get in front of the goalie. It is one facet of his game that truly prevents him from being a legit power forward. Dubi also doesn't handle deflections all that well.

Honestly, the one guy who knows how to play in front of net is Cally. Unfortunately he is not that big, and it isn't difficult too push him out of the way. That said, he is still one of our best options there. IMO, Rupp should get a look. Pitt was successful in using him as a screen in front of net.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote