View Single Post
Old
03-18-2012, 11:45 AM
habtastic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
Nope. That is far off the mark. A strong finish to your season leaves you motivated for the next season, while a crappy ending leaves you HOPING you get a good pick and there's a big chance that pick doesn't even turn into anything at the NHL level.

Leafs are the only team you can say have had above average second halves for a while now and still fail the next year. They have had a terrible team most of those years, with an ill-suited coach and average goaltending at best. Also, not much depth past their top two lines.

Then you look at New Jersey and see where they are after having a great finish to their season last year. They didn't roll over when they were pretty much dead last in the East, they fought hard and went on a very solid streak to end the season. Look where it brought them this year.

Detroit also fell far behind, I'm not sure if it was last year or the year before, but they fought back and never once stopped believing. Eventually, they made the playoffs.

Now look at the teams who have been finishing low for most of the past decades, teams like the Panthers and the Isles and the Oilers. They have so much young talent on their teams, but aside from the Panthers still fail every season. The Panthers are having a good season not because they have finishes last so much, but because they added some very key pieces in the offseason and decided they were going to make a huge push for the playoffs this year under new GM Dale Tallon.

A team like the Habs doesn't need to tank. They have built their core, they have a solid foundation for their future. That foundation is young and has so much potential. The best way to develop a young core is to put them to work night in and night out, to fight tooth and nail for that victory. Otherwise you're teaching them a losing attitude and not benefiting their development very much. It is nonsense to put too much pressure on them, putting them in every situation like some posters want here in order to tank. You play them like you would when you develop a young player in an established roster, and continue trying your hardest every game by playing your best players the most but at the same time giving your younger players certain opportunities to shine. One solid draft pick will hardly make a difference, anyone past Yakupov is an above average prospect at best. All you can do is HOPE that player will develop into something useful.

OR, you could root for the team to win even when everything is too far out of reach. It shows character and heart, and playing with effort will benefit both your young and veteran players for next year and will help them mentally, reassuring them that no matter what happens in the future that no one on this team will ever give up... even if their goal seems out of reach.

It disgusts me to see so many people hoping for their favorite team to lose, I don't care if you think that drafting one 18 year old can change our entire franchise because I know that he won't. He can develop into a great player, sure, but that is more luck than anything. We can draft a player at 12th overall and he can turn out to be better than almost everyone else in the draft. That's how drafting works: it is like the lottery.

So please, if you are a fan of this team you would hope for them to play well and succeed even when they are down and out, because you want your team to show conviction, heart and character for now and in the future. Because right now is where our core youth starts to get effective.
IF (oh how I wish I could use WHEN instead) we draft in the top 5. Please re-post this in two years when that draft pick is putting MTL back on the highlights board and striking fear into opposing defences.

Re: the bolded part. The thing is, we're not in 9th or 10th hoping for loses. We are in 14th (and 4th overall) and if we had even gotten a couple of reg losses in the past 6 games, we would have a very good shot, not a potential shot at drafting in the coveted top 5. This is NOT going to happen again anytime soon, pretty much for the reasons you listed -- we are a good team. This is a huge opportunity. And IMO I really don't think finishing the season strong in 11th place should feel any better than missing the playoffs by a point (which is probably the most discouraging thing and has happened before).

What possible surge are you expecting due to the last few games carrying over. Why can't a 4pt Lars Eller game propel into scoring on a regular basis (FTR I love Eller and it's mostly the lack of support on his line that's the problem)? When the season ends in two weeks, NOBODY on the Habs or within the fanbase should be feeling great about what we accomplished in the futile last part of the season where all we did was move from 29th to maybe 24th (which would be disastrous and is looking likely now). If a coach who double shifts the first line and is pulling out all the late-season tactics to get points (I don't blame RC, he knows he has to get a job somewhere) is an indication that we have lots to look forward to given we have IIRC only won either in OT/SO or by one goal except for the Van game, it's not time to be getting the SC banner for next year ready.

The whole point is, yes, a draft pick is unpredictable, but MUCH less unpredictable if it's high enough. Thus the tradeoff is between:

that special tingling in everyone's nuts that we pulled out an OTL against the Isles thus empowering the team to rise to the top of the EC next year vs losing the game in regulation and getting closer to having as close to a game breaker as we possibly can.

If you don't think Carey Price was proof enough of what that pick can do, I dunno what is. No one here is hating on our team as has actually occurred at various points when we were actually IN the playoffs. We just want them to play well, but still get the reg loss.

You should see the tank threads on other boards. They are not f'in around, they have full calendars and prediction outcomes for all teams involved.

We deserve this pick for the awful season, not a mediocre string of games to REALLY make this season a failure.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote