View Single Post
Old
03-18-2012, 06:29 PM
Lafleurs Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
The only way this trade ends up helping us is if we sign a big UFA thanks to some of the cap space it freed up. Similar to the Gomez deal except it was done differently. The difference is that instead of moving one salary, we moved two. Bourque came our way, AK went to Nashville, that evens it out and opens up the full release from Cammy's hit.

So, as I said, just like the Gomez trade in NYR enabled them to sign Gaborik, if we get to make a big key signing. That trade becomes a lot easier to understand. If nothing is done this summer however, then it is essentially useless, unless of course Bourque scores his 25-30G and Holland develops well.

In terms of helping the team this year however, that trade was weak.

I've never been a fan of Bourque myself, and he's been completely uninspired outside his first game. But I don't think RC has used him well, like most of our players anyways.
It's not just that we stuck ourselves with Bourque though. It's the opportunity cost of having wasted a trade asset. Yes, the cap space helps but we could've probably freed up some cap space and traded for a pick or prospect instead. That's the real loss on this trade. Not only did we fail to get what we needed, we stuck ourselves with Bourque. The 2nd is nice but not getting a 1st in unforgivable.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote