Old
02-13-2006, 12:37 PM
Vyse64
N64

vCash: 611
Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue
Last week Kypreos said that Montreal had shopped Theodore to atleast two teams at the GM's meeting is Las Vegas.

Factoring that into their need for a second line center and defensive depth, does...

Theodore and Ribeiro for Horcoff and Staios work?

The way I see it is, Horcoff has done very well as Edmonton's first line center but is probably ideally suited as a second line center. I would also think that Stoll factors more so into Edmonton's future due to age and so on. Staios, as far as I am concerned anyways, is a very reliable defenceman that can both defend and move the puck although he does neither at the all star level he is a fine defenceman for the middle pair. Seems that both guys would fit nicely in Montreal and both should be good players for a decent number of years beyond this season (Staios being a bit older).

On pedigree the Montreal players going to Edmonton may have a better resume with Ribiero scoring 65 pts in his last campaign (Although Horcoff is on pace to eclipse that total by a decent margin this year) and Theodore's accomplishments are clearly well documented. However, Ribiero hasn't proven he can repeat his totals and Theodore's struggles this year have been as well documented as his earlier accomplishments.

The potentially percieved imbalance of talent due to past pedigree is offset by the gamble that Lowe would be taking that the returning players can/will regain their form or get close to it at minimum, which frankly at this point is a pretty big gamble. Factor in the salaries (a savings to Montreal) as well because in this day and age it probably plays a bigger factor than we give attention to.
Theodore's contract is not worth the gamble at this point