View Single Post
Old
03-19-2012, 05:50 AM
Dfence033

vCash: 500
Earlier this year, I was on board with pursuing Zack Parise. But the more I look at next year's UFA class, the more I'm hesitating to head down that road. Parise is a hell of a player, and would certainly do wonders for this team, but with the uncertain nature of the new CBA looming, I don't like the idea of handing out another retirement contract. Some of the possibilities from next years class:

C: Ryan Getzlaf, Jordan Staal, Derek Roy, Travis Zajac, Stephen Weiss
W: Corey Perry, Nathan Horton, Teddy Purcell, Troy Brouwer
D: Tobias Enstrom, Alexander Edler, Marc-Edouard Vlasic, Anton Babchuk

Personally, I'd visit trading for players on teams that are up against it next year. Ducks will have issues getting Getzlaf and Perry signed while replacing Selanne and depth and staying in a budget. The Bruins are going to be in trouble with Seguin, Marchand, Horton, and Lucic. Canucks could have issues with Edler and Burrows. Penguins will have trouble with Cooke, Staal, Crosby, and Kennedy. The Canadians could be quite up against it with Patches, given all the FA they have to sign this year (12 RFA's, 4 UFA's this year, 3 more RFA's next year including Patches). Oilers could have issues filling out a roster around the same time as Eberle/Hall's ELCs are up.

I'd be content to sign a few one-year stop-gaps and see what shakes out. Roll something like:

Boyes-Richards-Gaborik
Hagelin-Stepan-Callahan
Kreider-Wellwood-Ponikarovski
Prust-Rupp-Boyle
Fedotenko

Staal-Girardi
McD-MdZ
Erixon-Stralman
Eminger

Use Anisimov and Dubinsky to maneuver around in the draft, or as chips for trading for the 2013 FA's. Staal can be used as a trade chip (especially if the Rangers can land Schultz). McIlrath, McColgan, Thomas, and St. Croix can be added.

2013:
Kreider-Getzlaf-Gaborik
Pacioretty/Trade/Etc-Richards-Callahan
Hagelin-Stepan-Miller
XXX-Rupp-Boyle
Fasth/Yogan possibilities

MdZ-Girardi
McD-Schultz
Erixon-Sauer (?)

You all wanted youth movements, well, there it is. Average age would be around 26-27 years old. Homegrown youth, solid veteran leadership, continued infusion of Rangers draft choices, and a team 3 scoring lines deep to play in front of a solid 6-deep defense and the King, with minimal FA additions.

Last edited by Dfence033: 03-19-2012 at 05:56 AM.
Dfence033 is offline   Reply With Quote