View Single Post
Old
03-19-2012, 06:24 PM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadArcand View Post
Morrow over Lapointe? Smyth is actually gonna get relevant icetime, even on 4th line and 2nd PP, so I think he's fine.

Maybe.

Food for thought - there were 23 D-men (not counting Taylor as one) picked before Lapointe. Unless you think there's 9 D-men picked behind him who are better #1s (I don't see it, with guys like Howe, Langway and Chara leading the pack), he is actually a #1, even if in the bottom 25%. Or, we have to accept that there's just <24 'true #1s'. Or I was completely off my rocker when I picked him, but I don't think that's the case.

Pronovost went 39th (among the top #2s), Stapleton 66th (elite #3), Corbeau 99th (too soon, would make him elite #4), Harris 118th (ok #4), Ramage 124th (low end #4). I don't think I picked them all that too soon, really, so I'd say that's still damn well above average.

In 30-team ATD 2010, Lapointe was 26th (low end #1), Pronovost 35th (top #2), Stapleton 63rd (elite #3), Corbeau 103rd (average #4), Harris 124th (top #5) and Ramage 128th (top #5)

Unless ATD canon and general pick order is awfully wrong, Lapointe is a #1 (if clearly bottom-tier), and my defense overall is well above average.
ATD canon is definitely wrong sometimes, especially when it comes to defensemen, I believe. That being said, I don't think any of Lapointe, Pronovost or Stapleton were far off from their true value in the hierarchy of defensemen.

Thing about Lapointe is that he brings a lot of special teams value, but less at even strength, where I think he is one of the very low-end #1s. But yeah...Pronovost is an excellent #2 and Stapleton is a very strong puckmoving #3.

Sturminator is offline   Reply With Quote