View Single Post
Old
03-19-2012, 07:26 PM
Velociraptor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
Andy Bathgate was definitely not known for his defense. No idea where you got that idea. MacLeish was a neutral two-way player...not bad, but most of his best seasons were spent on a line with Barber and Dornhoefer where he had very few defensive responsibilities. Prentice is obviously a strong checker, but I would not call this a two-way line, per se.
Bathgate was physical, guess that's where I got that from. I didn't mean to say he plays well defensively. I was always under the impression MacLeish could get by as a two-way player. The line has some defensive skill and some good checking is probably a better way to phrase it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrbez View Post
When you ask if Watson can keep up, are you talking about footspeed or in a general offensive sense?

If it's the latter, I'll certainly concede that Watson was more consistent than he was elite in terms of offense (aside from the year he came 2nd in goals). But he was quite fast, and he excelled as Syl Apps' regular LW on the 1947 and 1948 championship teams. He led the Leafs in scoring in the year after Apps retired as well, so I would assume he was playing with either Bentley or Kennedy. At any rate, he certainly has experience playing on a scoring line with an elite centre.

I really like his all-around game on that line. He was very strong defensively, played an aggressive game while staying out of the box, and was just a massive dude who (reports indicate) would absolutely pummel people when provoked.

Thanks for the review!
I honestly didn't know that much about Watson, one impression I was under is that he wasn't a great skater. It might've been seventies ATD 2010 bio, there wasn't really anything that commented on his speed. But in that case, maybe he is a stronger skater than what I initially had thought.

Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote