Old
03-19-2012, 07:32 PM
arrbez
bad chi

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post

I honestly didn't know that much about Watson, one impression I was under is that he wasn't a great skater. It might've been seventies ATD 2010 bio, there wasn't really anything that commented on his speed. But in that case, maybe he is a stronger skater than what I initially had thought.
He was so big that he probably looked slow out there, but anything I've seen talking about his skating says he was quite good at it.

Quote:
He had a very deceptive style of skating and at times appeared to be hardly moving and then would break like a flash. - Trail of the Stanley Cup volume 2
Quote:
He patrolled the wing with a strong skating stride, had a hard shot and was a good finisher for a playmaker like Apps. - Maple Leaf Legends
Quote:
He was a deceptively fast skater who was used to check the opposition's top scorers, but had a good scoring touch of his own. - Total Hockey
Quote:
Fast and strong, the bulky left winger possessed great offensive and defensive ability - Wings of Fire
Quote:
He was known for his offensve ability complemented by deceptive speed, physical strength and capable defensive skills - Hockey Hall of Fame
Quote:
Watson was a good skater who had a powerful shot - The Game We Knew: Hockey In the 50s
Quote:
Watson's very bigness gives him somewhat of a lazy, ambling appearance as he patrols his left side in effecive fashion, but when he gets the puck he picks up top speed in about a stride and a half and presents a pretty picture as he whirlwinds towards the enemy's net. - Globe and Mail, 1951-12-2
All harvested from seventieslord's bio. But given that he was such a big player and primarily a goalscorer, I can definitely see how you might assume he was a plodding winger who just crashed the net for goals. I probably would have too if I hadn't researched the guy.

Last edited by arrbez: 03-19-2012 at 08:41 PM.
arrbez is offline   Reply With Quote