View Single Post
Old
03-19-2012, 08:26 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
I personally think that Mario, although at times a flake and a smoker and a guy who sometimes needed his teammates to lace up his skates for him, was a tremendous leader on the ice. I doubt that Mario gave a lot of pep talks in between periods or taught a lot of rookies good practice habits, but on the ice he had a will to win and a belief in his own ability which is very rare in any athlete, and his teams bought into that. He was simply a magnetic personality. I think your leadership is good.

Your first pairing is average to slightly below-average at even strength, IMO. Lapointe is a strong special teams player, but at even strength, he is a bottom-end #1, but that is counterbalanced by a very strong #2 in Pronovost. I agree with Devil that Lapointe - Pronovost are less than ideally matched, but it is not that big of a problem. I think the 2nd pairing is above average. Stapleton is a strong #3, IMO (I credit his first couple of seasons in the WHA because he had already established a high level of play in the NHL and was clearly still at his peak), and Harris is an average to above-average #4. Overall, a nice second pairing.

I think Ramage is a good #5, but I would not want him on a 2nd pairing. Ditto Bert Corbeau.
I agree with you on Mario, he's a great lead by example on the ice captain. But I think you could use some more "rah rah" hard working types with As, like he actually had in Pittsburgh when they were winning. I guess he does have lots of depth players like Ramage and Smythe with leadership, so it's probably not a big deal

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote