View Single Post
Old
03-19-2012, 09:12 PM
smoneil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
In this case, I think what is working against Dubinsky is the fact that he's under contract for a few more years at a pretty significant number. Fisher and Gaustad were both deadline (or close to it) deals which tends to drive up the price quite a bit.

I dunno. I think he's gone over the summer one way or another. He's not performing, and Artie is a good, inexpensive option as a 3rd line center. Writing is on the wall, IMO.

Exactly. Fisher and Gaustad were both deadline deals, and they both returned 1st round picks. Both of those guys had also crossed the "30" threshold when traded as well, and Gaustad's career high in points is below Dubinsky's career low.

If "the writing on the wall" is that Dubinsky has to be traded in the summer, then whoever wrote on that wall is a dope. It would be abysmal asset management to trade Dubinsky before the 2013 trade deadline. His contract won't hold up any signings over the summer (especially with the talk that the cap is going up). By waiting for the deadline, you give him a chance to bounce back from his first down season (like Del Zotto, Gaborik and hundreds of other players). If he doesn't bounce back, you could still get a 1st + at the deadline. He'd be a 40+ point, 26 year old, physical player who can play any forward position, PK and turns his game up in the playoffs. If you don't think a guy like that returns a 1st + at the trade deadline, regardless of the contract, then you haven't been paying attention to deadline trades since the lockout.

smoneil is offline   Reply With Quote