View Single Post
Old
11-16-2003, 01:59 PM
Brain Hemorrhage

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFuPenguin
My point is simply that while a focus on disadvantaging the goalies may bring a certain increase in offense, focusing on the rules and the way the game is played would be a much more effective apporach to adding more excitement to the game, rather than simply upping the number of goals scored.

Also, the methods are not mutually exclusive. A more restrictive limit on goaltending equipment seems like a fairly easy change to implement, and will probbly happen, but it won't do anything to counter the highly effective trap schemes that rely on the extreme leniency of today's refereeing for their defensive success.

My only fear is that any "band-aid" implementation such as a widening of the nets or super-restrictions on goaltending equipment will lead to short-term success and more goals scored, which will hinder any attempts to correct the bigger issue -- the lack of offensively oriented play.
Ooh, very good point. I could not have made a better counter-argument to my own argument. Well done, Jedi.

1] One of the things that makes the trap so effective is that it is used to close-out games.

2] One of the things that reduces the need for offensively oriented play is, without question, the W-L-T-OtL format. While the W-L-T-OtL format may be better than the W-L-T format, both formats are pathetic because there is no sudden death element in hockey. No one enjoys a tie game. They may enjoy the overall play in a tie game, but no one enjoys the actual tie. Now, if a shootout format was inserted, you better believe teams like the Minnesota Wild and New Jersey Devils would be handicapped by teams like the Colorado Avalanche and New York Rangers, who each have 5 sure players who can beat a goalie on a penalty shot. This would at the very least cause the Wild and Devils to focus on adding a few more skilled players as opposed to lethargic maulers like Mike Rupp with no stickhandling skill. However, I understand that in Europe adding a few more skill players hasn't changed the dynamic any, since they are by and large finesse over there.