View Single Post
Old
03-20-2012, 02:14 PM
PJStock*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post
Umm, what about Pronger?

And no we dont have a 'few good young Dmen'. Timo is not young, neither is Kubina, Grossman is good but not at the same level as Mesz, and as for how 'good' Carle and Coburn are... very debatable.
Cosidering age and everything Mesz is the 3rd best Dman we have, with the best being Pronger and Timo second.

That's our best and third best out.Huge blow for defense, tho forwards are ok.
Another case of 'the grass is greener on the other side.' Both Carle and Coburn are solid, minute eating d-men. I have seen the argument made practically every thread that Carle is terrible and shouldn't be re-signed. I'd argue that you won't find many guys that could replace his minutes/40 pts and puck moving ability. Of course, if he wants more than 4.5 million, there are better options, but I find it laughable that people here wouldn't want to re-sign him even at the amount he is making right now. Give me a list of some suitable replacements, and then we can talk. And please, none of this "lets give Bourdon/Gus his minutes next season", because neither of these guys are top 5, let alone top 4 material right now. Carle plays against top forwards game in and game out, and makes relatively few mistakes for the amount of time he spends on the ice.
As for Coburn, he has started playing really well the past 10 games or so, when others have gone down to injury. He is certainly a good, if not great d-man when he gets going. Again, give me a list of guys that could replace his size, skating ability and shutdown ability. There are VERY few available d-men that even come close.

PJStock* is offline   Reply With Quote