Thread: Alex Roach
View Single Post
Old
03-20-2012, 03:44 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

vCash: 500
I'm speaking as a Kings fan, but not with biase as I've never actually seen Roach play and am just commenting on what I've heard/read about him. If I'm incorrect, let me know.

From what I gather, Roach is similar to a young Jay Harrison. A solid, but not overly-physical (IE could use his size/strength more) who is prone to poor timed turnovers and misreads while not possessing the best skating skills either. I remember watching Harrison with the Battalion, and I never thought he'd reach the NHL, outside of maybe a cup of coffee. I was almost right, but Harrison has pleasently surprised me and made his mark as a depth defenseman in Carolina who had to work hard to get there.

I see Roach's path to the NHL the same way, though I hope it's not as long and runs through the Kings system solely. Roach will need his full junior career to be spent and then likely three full AHL seasons just to come around. He is a long road project whose lack of smarts and questionable skating is off-set by his work ethic, willingness to learn and overall above average physical attributes.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote