View Single Post
Old
03-20-2012, 05:50 PM
Jet
More Finnz pls

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
With regards to Machacek, it was cause they wanted to keep (shudder) Gagnon up rather than Machacek cause they wanted a center (Wellwood missed the next game, but I mean Stapleton/Burmi were playing wing at the time). Trust me when I say they is no roster/legal thing that I don't know about, I am a huge BoH nerd and have pretty much read the entire CBA. Yes I know I have no life

I disagree about the message thing with regards to Jones/Clitsome. Jones was meh at best against Washington, he was being protected HARD. He was never once on the ice against the Caps top 6. Overall was ok in the limited minutes, but how that can be "good" is beyond me. Is adequate, when you play the other team's bottom lines all game and are just ok, that's not anything to write home about, IMO. When you are against the top line, one of the elite players in the NHL and you shut him down, that's great.

Then for the CAR game, they still refused to send Jones out there against Staal/Jokinen line (and rightfully so, this was actual good coaching), but instead of Clitsome, Buff/Enstrom were asked to take him on. Did not work out the best did it?

Basically my point is, it's not about Jones/Clitsome, it's more like should our shutdown pairing be Hainsey/Stuart - Clitsome or Enstrom-Byfuglien. I'd rather use Hainsey-Clitsome and open up the ice for the other pairings, rather than having to protect Jones. Jones is fine as a #7 when protected (and not asked to make a first pass), but WHEN YOU HAVE BETTER OPTIONS, YOU USE THE BETTER OPTIONS. Urgh. /rant.
I really think you let your hate of the player color your opinion on this matter. As i have said, I was in the Clitsome over Jones camp before the Canes game, but I understand this move.

You talk to no end about Jones being protected etc. etc. but he is a bottom pair defenseman. All bottom pair guys get protected. His penalty killing was excellent. He was physical and he ended up a friggin plus 2.

Again, you may want to be a tad more objective with this player. There were PLENTY of reasons the Jets lost to the Canes. Jones was not one of them.

I would not have been upset if they put Clitsome in tonight but keeping Jones in makes perfect sense.