View Single Post
Old
03-21-2012, 10:28 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Drafting isn't the only way to win that's true but.. I can't remember the how long it's been that an organization that knew it's team sucked trade 2 first round picks to playoff and then Cup contenders?

Islanders traded the 2nd overall pick + Chara for Yashin but they were just a ****ing terrible organization run by terrible people.

Burke is supposed to be smarter than that. He not only traded for Kessel he traded him within the division against a team that the Leafs already had a tough time against.

To make matters worse, Tyler Seguin goes bat crap crazy against the Leafs and Kessel has a hard time to even show up against Boston. If the Leafs ever made the playoffs and had to meet Boston...things are going to ugly.

The moral of the story is: If you know your team is going to suck, you don't trade first round picks.

Look at Edmonton...they tried to get guys like Hossa, Heatley, Vanek, Penner etc in various different manners, and then they realized the team sucked from it's depth to its core and couldn't get those guys to come to Edmonton, they didn't trade for Kessel and give up picks, they instead knew they were not a good hockey team and drafted Hall and RNH.

We're not a good hockey team and we basically "tanked" without our first round pick, and last year would have been a DISASTER if Reimer didn't put up .920+.

It's been a long time since a top UFA wanted to come to the Leafs, that alone should be an indicator that the Leafs aren't good enough. Drafting doesn't guarantee you the Cup but it guarantees you hope at a shot at one.

While we have guys like Bozak and Lupul (who hopefully can play at least 75% of what he played this year) the Oilers have Taylor Hall and RNH.

What did the Leafs accomplish in the years they missed the playoffs? Phil Kessel...heck you can even add Gardiner and Phaneuf if you want.

What did the Oilers accomplish in the years they missed the playoffs? Taylor Hall and RNH.

Kessel + Phaneuf + Gardiner < Hall and RNH.
Look at their core, and then look at ours, look at their depth and then look at ours.

Neither does seguin have to play against a vezina trophy winner, nor does he have to play a norris trophy winner.

Kessel is third in goals, 4th in scoring point total, but look at those players and their respective team and then look at ours, they are in stacked teams with good talent around, what does kessel have? A top line winger in Lupul fortunately, and bozak who is a third line center in a really good team who has chemistry with them, imagine the spike if that was a top line center.

Nashville predators were also after kessel, do you know what they offered? A first rounder, and a secound rounder and jonathon blum(another first rounder). Kessel price is the right one, people are just seeing the worst of it and hell this trade isn't even done as its not panned out. It's like kessel is 30+, he is 24 for crying out loud. Did burke over-estimate the team when he came here? Yes but the price for kessel was the correct one, unfortunate the demise of our team is why people always fume.

I am proving the point that getting the first overall over and over and over again DOESN'T really increase your chance as people believe, i made it 13 year first overall span, if i was to make it 10 years it would be even shorter. If you call 23% a great chance to get the cup then really all the best to you, especially in a salary cap world, I would applaud any GM if they are able to do that. IF you are truly satisfied with non stop selecting first overall your ass should be fired. Hell I am going to be tentatively watching how long of an extension steve tambellini is going to get, because he's had a lot of top 10 pick with nothing to show for it.

You get good talent but you need depth from all parts of your team, not just one franchise player, if that was the case penguins should have been only able to win crosby right? Or just fleury? What about Nash? What happened there, he signed that extension but did it get him the cup ? The franchise the cup? No.

You draft for depth not and if you are lucky, franchise players, you use your depth to cushion your prospect development time and also use prospects and pick to get the right players in your team to spearhead you.