View Single Post
Old
03-21-2012, 04:21 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
OT: Hey I have no interest in plugging this, so this isn't spam or anything, but the Chase Preferred Sapphire Credit Card is a stupid good deal. I signed up just so I could get the hockey stick, but they give you 50,000 points after you spend $3K in the first 3 months.

Who cares about points, right? But actually, they let you trade the points for cash, so you can make the $3K limit with your tickets alone (which you were going to pay for anyways), then turn around right away and convert the points into $500 CASH. Stupid stupid good deal, I can't believe it. 500 bucks plus the hockey stick (and I'm sure I'll get a Knicks bonus too)

The preferred card has a $95 annual fee (waived in year 1) so I'm going to cancel in month 11, but you can get the non-preferred with no fee. The difference is that you only get 25,000 bonus points (still worth $250 cash)
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I've actually been considering signing up for the Chase Sapphire Preferred for the last week or so. Up until this year I have been renewing my tickets with my SPG Amex (best card out there imo) but now that MSG is going with Chase I'd prefer to still get the extra gift (stick.) The Chase SP is a Visa, which I don't have...and it also has no foreign transaction fee. Not sure I would take the $500 in cash, but rather start collecting the points which can be redeemed for awards in various programs, with Hyatt being the most attractive to me (the 50k points alone is more than sufficient for free 2 nights at any of their properties in the world.) Obviously if you don't put a decent amount of spend on the card each year the $95 fee is probably not worth it...in which case downgrading to the non-preferred could be a good option.

Good summary of the card here. Pretty good site in general if you are a point/mile collecting junkie like me. lol
I guess that deal was a little too good for Chase, they just reduced the bonus to 40,000 points instead of 50,000 (-$100) for the paid card and 10,000 points instead of 25,000 (-$150) for the free card. Glad I got in when I did