Thread: Confirmed with Link: Austin Smith Signs 2 Year ELC w/Dallas
View Single Post
Old
03-21-2012, 08:30 PM
BigG44

vCash: 500
Heika story with good quotes from Smith and Les Jackson.

Smith seems to express some understanding that his Hobey Baker chances aren't great, but he explains why the assumptions about the ECAC that hurt him in voting should actually have made him a better candidate.

Quote:
His chances of winning the Hobey Baker Award are probably reduced because he played in the ECAC, and that's not a conference that typically has teams competing for the national championship. The irony, he said, is that the league is known for its defensive play.

``I understand how people will make that decision, but I also understand that this is a league known for its defense, and that makes it tougher to score goals,'' Smith said. ``I just wish people knew that side of it too.''

In 22 league games this season, Smith scored 25 goals. The next closest players in the ECAC tallied 13. That's a pretty impressive separation.
Jackson addresses his work ethic:

Quote:
``He's such a good kid, and a smart kid, and you really didn't expect anything less from him,'' said Les Jackson, the Stars' director of scouting and player development. ``Honestly, I think that's his biggest strength, that he's going to outwork a lot of other players and he's going to give you everything he's got.''

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote