View Single Post
Old
03-22-2012, 09:34 AM
Dynheart

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
You honestly believe that Smith has impressed less than Ericsson and Kindl?

Ericsson has 63 NHL games played this year, and 10 pts, with around 16:46 of IT per game. Smith has 7 pts in 13 GP-- as an abject rookie on an injury-riddled team that's going through a death spiral. Both have almost all their points at ES, w/Smitty getting a helper on the PP (expectedly since he got more PP time than E). Nevertheless, the PP has been beyond abysmal during Smith's entire NHL career so far. He actually managed to get a point out of one when the team for the most part can't score on the PP at all.

Kindl has 11 pts in 50 NHL games, w/ 13:44 of IT/gm. He also has one helper on the PP (with :30 IT/gm on the PP).

Edit: As a rookie, Smitty's pace is 44 pts, with ~15-16 min/gm--- with the Wings in a major slump and injuries up the wazoo.
I never understood this argument.

We are talking defensemen, not forwards. Right now, Big E is better in the his own zone. Better positionally. The only thing that kills Ericsson is that he makes goofball plays once and awhile. Oh, and he makes too much money. Ericsson is also a decent puck mover and passer. Maybe not as good as Smith, but for defense in the their own zone? Right NOW? Give me Ericsson.

Smith is great puck mover and passer. See's the ice well and has great hockey IQ (to create offense). That's great and all, but if you're out of position half the time (he is out of position more often than not almost every game, but makes up for it through stick work and skating skill) as a defenseman... But why are we talking about points? Defense first and foremost, then we talk about points.

This is also why I don't think Smith will see any time in the Play-offs (unless Ericsson and Kindl get injured again...).

As for the game. I think this is a game the Wings win if Howie was in net. Conks played well, but that first goal doesn't go in if Howard is in net. But it is what it is at this point. Two teams playing defense first hockey, and the Rangers captain had to place a perfect shot off the cross-bar to beat Conklin (looked like it went right over his shoulder).

It's another loss, sure. But these are the type of loses you can't be to mad about. The Wings played well, but so did the Rangers. THey play like this against the 'canes and the Jackets.., then start to get healthy (minus Helm...dammit), I think this is the perfect time for the Wings to getting hot for a play-off run. Only question is, will Howie be ready?

Dynheart is offline   Reply With Quote