03-22-2012, 10:56 AM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynheart View Post
I never understood this argument.

We are talking defensemen, not forwards. Right now, Big E is better in the his own zone. Better positionally. The only thing that kills Ericsson is that he makes goofball plays once and awhile. Oh, and he makes too much money. Ericsson is also a decent puck mover and passer. Maybe not as good as Smith, but for defense in the their own zone? Right NOW? Give me Ericsson.
And I disagree with you 100%. The ONE area that E has an edge is on the PK. Smith is already ahead of him in reading and anticipating plays, which he's using to thwart opposition efforts and to drive our own offensive efforts. I am much more comfortable with him at ES. The main thing he needs to do is get his stamina up.

No way I agree that E is better positionally. That's been one of his biggest problems all along. Sorry.

Quote:
Smith is great puck mover and passer. See's the ice well and has great hockey IQ (to create offense). That's great and all, but if you're out of position half the time (he is out of position more often than not almost every game, but makes up for it through stick work and skating skill) as a defenseman... But why are we talking about points? Defense first and foremost, then we talk about points.
The hallmark of the out-of-position defenseman on the Wings was Ericsson. If he limits his movement to two strides in any direction once he's in his own zone, he has a good game. Problem is that he's always wandering off.

I think this run of injuries + slumps has made some of you guys forget what the other guys do.

Quote:
This is also why I don't think Smith will see any time in the Play-offs (unless Ericsson and Kindl get injured again...).
Experience and stamina. Had Smith been called up earlier, I don't think we'd be having this conversation. I'm ready to yank Kindl for Smitty right now. E is in for the PK and size reasons.

Re: the rest of your post.
You realize you posted in the Washington GDT?

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote